October 7, 2021

My thoughts on aiF episodes

Firstly, some housekeeping. You will have noticed that the blog looks quite different. I have decided to discard the previous theme. Perhaps it was too colorful, even garish. In any case, I have gone with a darker variant this time. Nothing fancy, but it should be more appropriate for the content on the blog. Some minor layout changes have also been made. One of them is the inclusion of a new way to receive updates about the blog, through follow.it. Unfortunately, Google had decided to shut down FeedBurner, so I had to find an alternative. I have switched the 13 of my previous followers to this new platform, so tell me if everything went okay. I've also finally done something with the header. Actually, Rakso did the work from my ideas and layout as what he did in less than an hour I would do in less than a few days or so. Thanks to Rakso, as always. Finally, I have noticed that videos did not show up on mobile versions of the site for some time. I have figured out the problem (again a redundant change in programming!) and amended the latest posts.


Finally, the post. This blog has, almost by accident, been in an aiF-mode recently, so today, I will air my thoughts on the individual episodes from the studio. These comments actually originated a few days ago in an email I wrote to a friend who had not yet seen most of them and is/was preparing to do so. I had some of these discussions regarding aiF already, but why are they so interesting? Well, as I mentioned in my post on Parkety and Vrata, there is a definite amplitude in quality between individual episodes from aiF. While the 1989-90 episodes did not really reach the heights of previous episodes, they were still quite a concentrated and consistent bunch. When aiF came about, that consistency went out of the window and some episodes are noticeably lagging behind others.

What about this? Not so good? Eh, so I thought.

Presumably, Luboš Beneš paid a lot less attention to these episodes than those that came before. Before 1990, he was in a semi-comfortable position of a director at Krátký film's Barrandov studio. Then, along with the other directors, he was laid off and had to start his own studio. As he was really the lynchpin of aiF, he became manager, negotiator, employer and probably had much less time on his hands, meaning that his mantra of "don't mess with it too much, just make it fast", which Jan Klos called an unpleasant feature of Beneš, came into full force. He was running on autopilot at times. Given that the episodes also passed through fewer hands, the standards had to drop off and they did.

What follow are my brief thoughts (you could call them takes) on the aiF episodes. These are personal observations ― I have known these episodes for more than 15 years and it would be a tough exercise to step back and provide a more objective analysis. It would also be messing about too much, so I'll try to be fast and concise. On the whole, it is good to mention that I much prefer the indoor episodes of this series. They are just much funnier to me. Based on the stories provided so far, it would be fair to say that Pat and Mat don’t “do adventures” well, which is obviously what the crew were aiming for in some of the episodes (This becomes more apparent in the dull Jája a Pája 1995 series, which I feel is a steeper downgrade from the 1986-87 original than aiF's P+M series. It obliterates the winning formula of Krkovička being the central character and the comic foil to unsuspecting kids and instead makes the kids and their adventures the heroes without much success.) "The more the distance from their homes, the less funny Pat and Mat are" is what I wrote in the email. This may not always be the case, but definitely is at aiF. My thoughts, then (Parkety and Vrata excluded because I have already discussed them):


Sušenky - This has always been one of my favorites from the 14-piece bundle. I have always liked the funny and satisfying story, but I was actually surprised with how much I enjoyed this episode when I rewatched it a few months ago. What got me was the amusing interaction between Pat and Mat, with some subtle jokes such as Mat getting in a boxing pose when Pat shows up with the gloves or Pat turning into a human scale. I'm pretty sure some of these twinkles were added by František Váša as they would feel out of place in a Mensdorff-penned vehicle. Also, I have just realized that this is the first episode which deals with the production of food, a concept used all too much in the newest series.

 

Cyklisti - Conversely, Cyklisti has always been one of the episodes I dislike. I remember thinking it was "meh" some 16 or so years ago, even if I couldn't articulate it then. To me, it's a bit of a dud, so I was baffled that it received some sort of accolade at Annecy when it seems to me they just picked an episode off the shelf. To give it some consideration, I really get the comedic concept used here of the deconstruction of every part of the bikes until they are down to their wheels, but I dislike the execution. For one, the episode does not get moving until about its half and even then, it lacks intensity. At that halfway point, Pat does a somersault and lands in front of Mat. The jump is quite slow and limp and what we get is not a really funny result. Why didn’t he, for instance, land into Mat, knock him down, entangle both of them in the bikes? Include an ending I’ve always found annoying and you get an episode which will not grow on me.

 

Dlaždice - I think this is a solid episode, unlike the gazillion tiles Pat and Mat get to break (which is a good thing). It is a bit uneven, but there are some standout moments as seen in the final third, when they construct an elaborate machine to transport the tiles from one part of the backyard to another (what a pointless exercise!). They turn it on, but the tiles fly off and are destroyed. It’s a great moment and equally so, the antithesis in timing that follows of the slow, last remaining tile reaching its destination. However, I feel there are some reactions missing between those two moments which would make them even funnier. There are some amusing details as well, like Mat’s hat popping up, but nothing like the ending sequence, a pretty bizarre moment in the history of the series. It contains one of the rare (only?) intrusions of political commentary or commentary of the outside world of any kind. I guess it captured the zeitgeist in Czechia.

 

Okap - I don’t know what to exactly make of this one, except that it definitely isn’t one of the best episodes. It is rough in most places, even its appearance. For whatever reason, the scenes which came out of one camera used here were way too dark compared to the rest and really mismatch. There aren’t many funny moments. In fact, Pat and Mat get hurt quite a lot and the physical comedy misses its mark. So, even though I actually appreciate the ending (it’s one of the last where they completely mess things up!), I can’t but feel pity for the characters. This is an unexpectedly dark episode in many ways.

 

Kabriolet - I can call this episode Cyklisti v 2.0, so another flounder. It is high on my list of least-loved aiF episodes for a simple reason: I struggle to find anything funny in it. It’s another “adventure”, so there are a few outlandish (pun intended) ideas such as the flying convertible, flying Pat, but I struggle to appreciate them without some kind of resolution. And there is none because the drama also feels somewhat cheap. As I’ve mentioned, the dramatic scenes are timed much better in Dveře. Here, they don’t do anything for me. This episodes gets a special mark down as we are really watching its 2.0 version. The negative of the completed original version was destroyed and the episode had to be refilmed from scratch (I can now confirm that). Now I wish I could see the original version!

 

Nehoda - We’re off to the 1994 season. It seems things pick up a bit here, although this is an unusual episode. It is probably funnier when you see it for the first time as it’s essentially a one-trick pony. The tire goes off at the beginning and this is repeated to good effect at the end (think of the same principle in Tapety; the setup is also the punchline). The rest of the episode becomes a blur in repeated viewing, but the ride is not unenjoyable. In fact, all in all, this can be deemed a successful episode. It’s also relatable - I don’t know how to change a tire. There was also a very popular Croatian dubbing which circulated the net 15 years ago, so it gets some extra credit. (P.S. The other ep I remember those dubbers doing was Korčule, which was handy for them due to the strong characterization there.)

 

Kulečník - This is a well-balanced, polished episode on all fronts. It was never one of my favorites (for no particular reason), but I always appreciated it. I think that’s a fair assessment of my thoughts and I can fully understand why the studio would choose it as a flagship episode to be shown on festivals. It is strong on slapstick, but also on the optimistic characters (aided by František Váša getting even more comfortable) and has a good progression as their billiards experience slowly deconstructs. A bonus here is that many members of the audience (myself included)  don’t really know the rules of this version of billiards (where are the holes?!), so we are as clueless as these two.

 

Živý plot - Contrary to the previous episode, I kinda love this one, even though I recognize it’s far from great. One of the things which “buys” me are Petr Skoumal’s great pieces. The motifs are subtle, but catchy and pleasurable. It should be mentioned that in 1994 Skoumal completely abstained from using his Pat and Mat theme, which is the only time he did so in his career on the series. The episode is a bit of a guilty pleasure, then - it’s not really bad, but not really good either. It starts promisingly, but fizzles out by the end, where the actions just become too dumb. A bonus is that it takes place in Mat’s backyard, which is somewhat of an unused space. Perhaps the best description of this one is: it has a nice atmosphere.

 

Trezor and Modeláři - I’ve always felt these two episodes were very similar and I’ve always liked them both. Story wise, definitely my favorites from 1994, even if they are (or perhaps because they are?) a bit off-kilter. For instance, both feature use of heavy explosives. Although there are some funny bits from Trezor (like the two putting the safe into the wall the wrong side or, for more eagle-eyed viewers, Pat pulling out a hammer and sickle from the cupboard) I like Modeláři more. The match statuettes the two make are really beautiful (a rare chance in the aiF series to show off their skills), so the disaster that befalls them in the end is even more powerful. There is still time to return to the almost-forgotten meat plot point, though. The ending in Trezor is a bit weaker and I’ve always had a problem with Mona Lisa being referenced here -- just too much of a distraction when a normal painting would have sufficed (if the joke was not that Pat and Mat have the original Mona Lisa - which would just be dumb). On the whole, however, I have no problems recalling funny or amusing moments from these episodes when I want to. One thing does annoy me in them - the puppets with an overly sized grin. Pat walks into his freshly destroyed house and appears to be smiling. A detail, but a telling one about quality control.

 

Blatník - Again a contender without a chance in the best episode competition, but still with some worthwhile moments. The thing I like most in this episode is the varied use of props, especially in the final stage when the recycled fenders are constructed, easily the episode’s best part. I would not be surprised if that was, in fact, the origin of this script, as the opening two thirds are an obvious rehash of Garáž (Do I see a pattern of recycling here? Also take note of the huge, unjustified reliance on the car in this series.). However, the ending is also disappointing in terms of direction. The actual reveal of the completed car is way too short! Imagine if instead of the brief closing shot, we had some nice, quick close-ups of the various areas of the car, so we can really appreciate the absurdity of its new design. It would have been much more dynamic and funnier. Instead, we are “treated” to shots of Pat or Mat banging their hammer and drill. This is only funny at an earlier point in the episode, where they destroy the car. Here, where they are building something new, it’s just filler. A strange bonus is what appears to be Mat breaking the fourth wall (looking at the camera) around 3:03, only noticed after watching for the umpteenth time.

 

Windsurfing - I’m going strong on this one. My two cents: It sucks. A dreadful way to end Lubomír Beneš’s tenure, it is perhaps the worst episode produced up to that point. The opening has a few strong points (Pat violently kicked out of car, Pat trapped in mud), but the episode completely goes off the rails at that point. The middle section is an utter waste in which nothing funny happens. You can easily fall asleep here - was there any effort put into this?! Even the title is a bit of a spoiler of the already deus ex machina ending (Surfing would have been at least a tad funnier). I’m not even mad that this one is bad - or am I? It should have been much, much better.

 

Those are my thoughts. As always, I would like to hear what the audience says.

P.S. If you would like to see the puppets and some props from aiF springing back into action after all these years, check out this Instagram profile.

14 comments:

  1. Hello, i definitely think that there could be better scenes made at some point. But i don't 1992-1994 was that terrible. As it was my childhood, i always loved all aiF episodes, and to this day, i think it's the best made Pat and Mat series right after A je to.

    Otherwise, was very nice to read this post :) ~Oakley The Fox

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I never did say that the aiF series was terrible. However, some episodes are well below the standards set by previous series, so all in all, it makes this series a mixed bag.

      Delete
  2. It's been ages since I've been here, glad to see you're still active! Also, I like the new look of the blog, admittedly while I liked the old colors, the darker tones make it easier on the eyes.

    As for my personal thoughts on the aiF episodes, in my opinion, I think they're just fine. I'll admit whenever I watch this show, I usually turn my brain off and get lost just chuckling and enjoying the absurd antics of the dunderheaded duo without really caring about the finer details. That being said, after reading what you had to say on all these, I definitely understood where you're coming from. Sušenky is my favorite out of the aiF bunch (one of my favorite moments was when Pat gets handed the empty box while Mat eats the last cookie for himself!), and I'm glad someone noticed that Okap felt like a strange episode, especially the music at the end where they look up sadly at their failed mission of painting the pipes. Felt oddly chilling, and the episode wasn't even creepy at all.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I kinda do wish that P&M had more facial expressions then and even now atleast the music was good....but no classic themes.I wish that someone would make a aiF styled classic P&M theme or the Music 7 theme also the post was fun to read! -ST

    ReplyDelete
  4. Here are my thoughts on aiF episodes:

    Sušenky - I didn't really liked it as a kid, now I consider it one of the best episodes from aiF. Favorite moments: when they use cement mixer to mix all ingredients, and also when Mat gets the last biscuit for himself

    Vrata - I always found this one to be kinda boring, even as a kid I didn't liked that much, it kinda gave the feeling "I've already seen that somewhere". Favorite moment: probably when they use blanket to make new garage door

    Cyklisti - As a kid I've seen it so many times, but when I read your thoughts I noticed what's wrong with that one, so I'm not a fan of this one that much. Favorite moment: when they build a tandem from both bikes

    Dlaždice - Always liked this one, everything seems to work out here (or almost everything should I say). The thing that I didn't liked was the pair of puppets Vasa used here (especially Mat), I didn't liked how they look. Favorite moment: Mat putting EU flag on the top of the castle.

    Parkety - My favorite one from 1992 definitly. I still have a VCD on which I got it for the first time, it was sixth on that disc, and as a kid I always waited unpatiently when all episodes before it will end and then I will watch it. Favorite moments: "Too much to write"

    Okap - Liked it as a kid, and I still like it now, even if it has some problems, including shots with bad lighting. I was totally surprised when you told me that it was actually made in 1991 (Vasa started animation on June 17, 1991). Favorite moment: Pat goes down the pipe.

    Kabriolet - First aiF episode which I watched in my life. Somehow I liked it as a kid, and even today, even if it is far from great I still like it for reasons unknown to me haha. But yeah, it's really boring. Favorite moment: Pat flying on the sky and putting goggles.

    Nehoda - Not good, but also not that bad. And yeah, I also don't know how to replace tires. Favorite moment: breaking the tire for the second time at the end.

    Kulečník - I always liked playing pool so it's no surprise that this is one of my favorites. Action is good, gags are funny. Favorite moment: Ball going through the toilet door and is flushed away.

    Živý plot - This was probably the last aiF episode which I watched (excluding Playing Cards hehe). I like it mostly for music and using Mat's backyard. Favorite moment: probably when they make a fake hedgerow.

    Trezor - One of my favorites from 1994. It's very good episode, just maybe a little dumb. I had that one on my first VCD, but I could only play the episode on my computer, and it was half-broken, because around the middle, the episode just stopped and I couldn't watch the rest (I was able to watch the rest in YT parodies back then haha). Favorite moments: Pat showing a wrench instead of key and also hammer and sickle.

    Blatník - I don't know what to say about this one. Not that good, but also not enteirly bad. Favorite moment: when they make fenders from cans.

    Modeláři - One of the best aiF episodes. Building models was that thing which I always liked to do in real life. And yeah, this episode shows their skills in a good way. Favorite moment: when everything burned down but they are still happy that the food is ready haha.

    Windsurfing - As a kid I was thinking it was decent, but now I see just how terrible this episode is. Just as if they wrote that one at the last minute to have a complete batch of 7 episodes (kinda similar to Kamera, which in my opinion is the worst episode ever created). Favorite moment: Pat gets kicked out of the car.

    ReplyDelete
  5. At Marin's suggestion, here now in public are my opinions on Pat & Mat's aiF era. Special thanks again to RobinLin and Rakso for making the Korean masters available! (Split into 3 comments, due to Blogger’s comment limits – only 4,096 characters at most.)

    Sušenky - A great start to the new series! I really liked the progression leading up to the biscuits ultimately being completely inedible (and ultimately serving as good cobblestones for the muddy entryway at the beginning), as well as how the two of them constantly feared things were about to get violent between them as a result of their incompetence, haha - like Pat's reaction to Mat taking out the rolling pin, or the boxing glove scene mentioned above, similar to the one scene in Budka where Mat is about the throw the wooden board at Pat.

    Vrata - I have to agree that this one is just a dud. Regarding the roof-hanging scene rehashed from Dveře - I think one of the things that made Pat hanging from the roof so effective in that episode was Petr Skoumal's unsettling, even frightful music there, with the gloomy synthesized drones conveying a sense of real danger and building up in a way that feels like Pat really will fall and die if Mat doesn't act quickly. Here, by contrast, Skoumal's music just sounds way too over-dramatic and silly, helping to ruin any impact the scene might have had - probably a good example of how less is more.

    Cyklisti - Frankly, not much better than Vrata. The opening scenes with Mat repeatedly falling off his bike were funny, but everything else felt so insipid and subdued, to the point where I started thinking of ways the gags could have been punched up and made far funnier as I was watching (a lot of the gags had so much potential for sheer chaos and destruction - just imagine how much further one could take the possibilities of "Pat gets thrown off his bike and onto an uphill slope where Mat also happens to be!" - but the execution just fell flat almost every time).

    Dlaždice - Yes, pretty nice episode overall, thanks largely to František Váša's animation (including that classic hat-popping trick from Jan). I thought all the gags with the bricks repeatedly breaking into pieces were fairly predictable, but the weirdly political ending was a nice twist, haha - though some more interesting things could have happened in that final sequence, it does go by a little too fast. (Heck, a whole episode devoted to just trying to build that castle could have been very good.)

    Parkety - One of the highlights of the aiF era for sure! It's a testament to how good and inspired the gags are that the episode works so well even with Marek Beneš's amateurish animation taking up the majority of the runtime, just as the original series mostly works even with Karel Chocholín doing the majority of the animation in his pedestrian manner. I remember showing this episode to a kid at my family's daycare, and he loved the gags too, especially when Pat and Mat fell off of their vacuums during the race - ingeniously animated by Váša, of course.

    Okap - I actually showed this to the daycare kids on a whim in 2020 to try and throw some aiF into our Pat & Mat watches, not knowing what to expect, and I thought it was decent, not too great. Revisiting it, I have to agree that it's a very puzzling little misfire, there were some minor chuckles here and there (I liked when Mat prodded Pat to make sure he wasn't dead), and the ending (which actually made me laugh) could have been even more satisfying if everything that came before it was good. I think this episode's problems come down to the weird story - the whole thing is them just trying to paint one single drainpipe, it's nice that there was some attempt at buildup to an ironic conclusion in the way they get higher and higher only for it to all come crashing down at the end, but it feels like the story structure should have been polished further or used with something more interesting than a drainpipe.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Kabriolet - Yep, another giant wasted opportunity. Many of the gags were probably funny in concept, but the execution is utterly humdrum (the cheap drama you mention could have been an amazing opportunity to see everything get completely destroyed, say, the kabriolet landing on the dump truck and maybe causing a giant explosion of parts and then Pat hurtling right into Mat or something). The biggest mild chuckle came at the aiF in-joke on the truck door, which is pretty darned sad. (And yes, I'm curious how much better the original version might have been, if how badly this final version turned out was a result of just rushing it out the second time...)

    Nehoda - Not too big a fan of this one for the most part (and I say this as someone who hasn't learned how to change a tire either, aha). You're right that most of what happens in this episode is a blur, but I think the last two minutes or so made it worthwhile, aha - the absurdity of Pat and Mat actually turning the car over onto its side with a pillow for good measure, and of course their character acting at the very end when they run over the sharp object again...

    Kulečnik - I liked this one a lot, hahaha. The amount of breaking they do with the cue sticks alone is astonishing, to say nothing of the balls somehow EXPLODING from getting in the fireplace (which had been kindled using the table's wrapping!) or going right through the wooden door into the toilet, or even the smaller gags like how they try to play using the apple! And yes, Váša really got beneath the skin of our two handymen by this time - all in all, a well-deserved award winner, and a good intro to the characters for anyone new to them. (I have to wonder if Kuchař was a good billiards player, hah, and that was what led to this episode.)

    Živy plot - I didn't like this one very much, though I can certainly appreciate Skoumal's beautiful music and the unusual backyard setting (the plants in particular are quite lovely), as you say. Kind of a boring episode overall, and the last few minutes are indeed just dumb.

    Trezor - I also wasn't a very big fan of this one, but there were some inspired gags, like how they bring the safe in efficiently by rolling on the logs. I actually thought the use of the Mona Lisa at the end was funny just for how bizarre it is, and that subliminal hammer and sickle in the drawer was fun too, but I agree that Pat and Mat are a little too idiotic in this episode. (also, lol at the two of them seemingly giggling at their blown-up wall and how the key has surfaced in it - you're right about the awfully conspicuous grins of this particular set of puppets)

    ReplyDelete
  7. Blatník - Very mixed bag, but pretty mediocre overall. The first half indeed feels like a humdrum rehash of Garaž, complete with Pat being way too dumb in how he responds to the wrecked fender by just painting it over (Mat apparently looking at the camera and tapping his head to insult Pat's intelligence, as though he were a Pojar character, was a nice touch at least) and later how he just stands there and points as the stone ends up falling onto the car anyhow (I actually got a good chuckle out of how he broke the windshield when he actually tried stopping it the first time). It takes way too long for the two to take out their hammers and start making things even worse, which is where things actually start getting funny, to say nothing of the giant steamroller completely destroying the fenders and inadvertently giving them a good idea (with those beautiful cans) - which, unfortunately, is wasted on the lackluster direction, as you point out here. (I figured that the heavy use of the car throughout this series must have been Luboš’s way of trying to emphasize that these were new, semi-modernized Pat & Mat or something - though, as Marin stated in his response, it was probably just easier to come up with ideas for the car instead of building new sets or props for different ideas.)

    Modeláři - Now here's an episode I love! The food props on their own just look delicious, and it was great how Pat's clumsiness throughout this episode led to them building all those wonderful matchstick models (a rare instance of their DIY skills being used positively, as you say)...only for it all to literally go down in flames!! And even that ends up solving their little dilemma of how to cook their kebabs, hahaha. All in all, an episode in which everything somehow works out, literally.

    Windsurfing - Yeah, this one coming right after the last episode, to say nothing of it being the very last Pat & Mat with Luboš's own direction, is just........awful in ways I can't really express. The opening scenes you mentioned actually made me laugh, but then what the actual heck were Pat and Mat even trying to accomplish afterwards!? Were their brains deactivated after Pat fell into the mud? Why would they be so utterly stupid as to try filling an entire dried-up crater with water from that puny well? And then it all ends up being a COMPLETE waste of time anyhow, as *anyone* could have predicted!? Maybe it would have been funnier if there were actual gags, but ultimately, it feels like this was phoned-in just to get the series done. Even Skoumal's music here is awful - too many garish, ear-bleeding synthesized horns. (The sad part is, this was another aiF episode I actually watched before with the kids, and I thought it was pretty decent at the time, but I probably wasn't paying much attention then - I could barely even remember anything about the episode besides the mud until watching it again just now. Naturally, I wonder if Váša could have saved this episode, since like Jan Klos he actively tried to elevate these characters in a way that can't be said for AMP, with all due respect to him.)

    Overall, I'd say my top four episodes of the aiF era are Parkety, Modeláři, Kulečnik, and Sušenky, and they're probably the only ones I'd personally recommend to others, aha.

    All best,
    Toadette ;)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Windsurfing (1994) - was last episode directed by Lubomir before his death in 1995. Maybe he was ill and didn't have much energy and idea for the episode? just my thought i could be wrong.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. He had energy to direct 8 episodes of Jaja and Paja after that. :) Plus, the scripts were mostly written by Marek Beneš, with input from Jiránek. It does seem to me that not much effort was put into Windsurfing, though.

      Delete
    2. Intresting i didn't know that, thanks for info

      Delete
    3. But , what you think about the story of narkoblues?

      Delete
  9. I really felt sorry for Pat and Matt when I got your comment about okap, 😥 okap is my favorite episode and I've known it for five years

    ReplyDelete
  10. Re: Dlaždice: For me—as a Czech guy who was 9 when the episode came out—the ending of Dlaždice was one of the absolutely funniest moments in this show's history. But it's definitely a kind of humor that's firmly rooted in its own place and time.

    SPOILER WARNING FOR THIS PARAGRAPH (for other readers who may not know or remember): They use the broken tiles and some mortar to build a crude castle, and in the final shot Mat decides to put an EU flag on it. Czechia and nine other ex-communist countries joined the EU in 2004, the result of a very long and very public political process. In the '90s, „breaking out of the East“ by joining Western structures such as the EU and NATO was the single most important long-term topic in the public discourse, and the eventual accession was seen as a historically momentous event (and rightly so). So the ending definitely captures the zeitgeist as you wrote, but it does more than that. It comes at a time when the EU flag is above all a symbol of ambition, and the fact that it's flying on top of this ridiculous eyesore sums up Pat and Mat's essential character traits in a nutshell: Their unbridled ambition unperturbed by their own hopeless clumsiness, which nearly always makes them prevail somehow. In so doing, it implies we Czech people are just the same: For better or worse, we're these congenial klutzes dreaming of making it in the big world, consequences be damned. And finally, it poses questions that hit really close to home: What will our own contribution to the EU be like? How will we build our country once we're in? Will it be as solid as Pat and Mat's castle?

    Such mildly self-deprecating humor is quite traditional for us; indeed, it has always been Pat and Mat's mission on a certain level to represent a certain side of Czech-ness (encapsulated in the phrase „zlatý český ručičky“—„good old golden Czech hands“, uttered both seriously and sarcastically) in a humorous light, and this scene is as blunt as it gets. They took a risk by stepping out of the show's comfort zone a little, and they totally nailed it; but I guess it's no surprise it doesn't read that way for someone from another country watching the show 30 years later. I wonder what Czech kids today think about it...

    And regarding Okap: I absolutely hated that episode as a kid, for the very reasons you've described. I also understood they probably ruined the puppets in the process and must have had to replace them—I wasn't smart enough to realize this happened all the time. It was the only episode ever that I thought was outright sad and bleak. As an adult I no longer have a problem with it—I can see the irony, knowing life does sometimes bring such situations and you usually do get over them somehow.

    ReplyDelete

Comments are moderated and manually approved.